10.23.2011

Anyone feeling charitable today???

Hi my fellow kick ass quilting friends.

I am writing today to see if anyone would like to help pitch in with me to make a quilt for a great cause?  It won't take much time (or fabric) and will hopefully bring in some nice $$$ for cancer treatment!!! 
Here's the lowdown: 
I have become involved with the Heroes Foundation which serves the cancer community by raising money to support the Indiana University Simon Cancer Center's Complete Life Program & the Susan J Patrick Clinical Fellowship.   The Complete Life Program is a holistic treatment program designed to aid cancer patients, survivors, and their loved ones by treating the disease on all fronts.  The Susan J Patrick Clinical Fellowship at the IUSCC is where fellows not only focus their training on the treatment of specific groups of deseases but also learn to translate lab research so that patients benefit from innovative approaches to treatment and care.

On  February 25, 2012, An Evening With Heroes Gala will be held to raise money by featuring a live and silent auction.  I would love to make a quilt (with your help, hopefully) to submit to the silent auction. 

Turning our scraps into cash:

Here is what I am thinking. 

Everyone has a few nice modern scraps lying around.  Right?  Wouldn't it make you feel so good to turn just a few of those scraps into $$$ by making a block to add to this quilt that someone will pay big bucks for to go towards a great cause?  

I'm thinking we can't go wrong with a string quilt.  I have always wanted to make one, but don't have the energy/time to make it by myself.  If lots of amazing, generous, talented, did I say amazing people pitch in...it will be done in no time! 

I'm thinking something like this or this...

Here is my sample block.  It took me longer to find the white fabric for the middle than to make the entire block.  Seriously!

I was hoping to recruit 40, yes 40 people to help me.  Each person will make one 10" string block with their modern fabric scraps using this tutorial from Film in the Fridge

If you're interested, please leave me a comment with your email address.  I will then send you all the details.  I'm even thinking about having you send a little scrap with your city/state/country written on it that I can put on the back so that everyone can be represented.
Thank you so much for helping me. I will include a note at the auction explaining how this was a joint effort and list all those who were included!  I'll also post pictures of the quilt hanging at the auction.  I think it will be the coolest thing there!!!

Fingers crossed that one or two or 40 of you will want to be help out!! :)  Please don't make me beg!! Because I will.

~Val

35 comments:

  1. I'd love to help out! Also, you should post this on IMQG's Facebook page and the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to participate, but I am not sure what counts as modern fabric. I am new to quilting, but would love to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...I was gone from the computer for 10 minutes (helping my son who has been throwing up for 3 days) and when I came back and I was beyond thrilled to already have two helpers. Rachael & Jess, thank you so much! Jess, in terms of modern fabrics...I'm thinking polka dots not plaid, brights not pastels. These designers could get ya going:
    * Amy Butler
    * Anna Maria Horner
    * Denyse Schmidt
    * echino
    * Erin McMorris
    * heather bailey
    * heather ross
    * Joel Dewberry
    * Laurie Wisbrun
    * Lizzy House
    * Mo Bedell
    * momo
    * Patty Young
    * Sandi Henderson
    * Tula Pink
    * Valori Wells
    (thank you Lindsay...I borrowed this from your Flickr profile list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll make one! It would be a nice excuse to try this type of block.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always help out a fellow hoosier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to help! I'll send it with your charms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart is beating so fast right now. I thought I would be having to beg. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am pretty sure I can make at least one. When do you need it/them?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty sure I can handle this, just tell me when you need it by and where to send it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd like to have a go, Santa Val :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. one block...easy peasy. Just say when and where to send it. Love to help!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to help, but when do you think the blocks would be due?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love to help!! Put me down for one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you have a date in mind? I think I would like to help you with this, but if you want them before Christmas I may not be able to get it done -- long story, but if you want to see what motivates me to help every time I see one of these requests, you can read about it on my blog. :) Just let me know what time frame you're looking at.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mother and aunt are both cancer surviors! Of course I'm willing to help. Please send details

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to make one too!!

    linzsews@gmail.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in! As a two-time cancer girl (uh,yeah), I can't resist the cause.
    elizabeth.rea15@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to participate! I recently ordered Michael Miller's Ta-Dots in about 15 different colors. I could use those along with some zoology animal prints, or some Kate Spain or some Amy Butler. My mother-in-law lost her battle with cancer back in January. It would be an honor to contribute. Let me know your time frame. Shaylynn at www.oxfordimpressions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have tons of scraps, and a string quilt block doesn't sound too stressful. Just send me mailing info.

    I have a friend, 29 years old, who just found out she has breast cancer. This one's for her.

    Great project! Glad to be part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love to help! My email should be attached to my profile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. If you did not get an email back from me in response to your comment, that is because your email is not set up in blogger. If this is the case, would you please send me your email address to val dot campbell dot 4320 @ gmail.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd love to help!
    designsbytc@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love to help as well.
    hinga53@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. i'm making one. I"ll send it with my block, which I FINALLY finished...

    ReplyDelete
  25. If I'm not too late, count me in!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you stopping by. Thanks for leaving a comment!