2.10.2011

You can call me Owl.



Fabric Scraps!!!  
If you sew, you'll create scraps.  If you've ever seen crazymomquilt's Ticker Tape Quilt, hopefully you've started hording these said scraps in order to make your very own.


This quilt began for me at the Old Red Barn Co. Quilt Along #9 on Flickr.  How this Quilt Along works is that Danaof Old Red Barn Co., chooses a different quilt theme for each round of her Quilt Along. If you choose to participate, you post pictures into the Flickr Group as your quilt progresses.  Dee, of deeroo designs, graciously typed up a tutorial of how to create a Ticker Tape Quilt.

I love Owls and I knew I wanted to incorporate one into this quilt somehow.  I scoured Flickr for inspiration and came across this cute little picture.  I asked the artist if he would mind if I used his image as inspiration for a quilt and he was thrilled. 





I divided this quilt into four quadrants and sewed them all together at the end. The scraps were sewn directly onto a pre-sandwiched (is that a word?) quilt, which allows you to "quilt-as-you-go."  I had never used this technique before, but can I just say that I LOVED IT!!!  It is so refreshing to turn your quilt over, after sewing your little scraps onto the front, to find that you have just quilted it at the same time!!!  The four smaller sections made manuvering around the tiny scraps so much more manageable!  However, not all Ticker Tape Quilts are made this way.  You can also make them the more traditional way by sewing all your scraps onto the quilt top first, then quilting it with the batting and binding. 

 






I was nervous about washing it because I had sewn so close to the edge of each piece (approx. 1/8"), but it came out softer than ever and the pieces all frayed perfectly! However, it did take about 2 hours of mindless trimming to remove all the excess strings that had accumulated on the front from the washing.




For the back, I used Valori Wells' Del Hi line.





What I love best about this quilt is that it is like a snapshot in time for me.  Each teeny tiny scrap represents a project that I have made.  Just like a photo album that brings back memories when you look at each pictures, this quilt brings back memories of all the love that I have put into every single project that I have created.  

I encourage everyone who has scraps that they don't want to throw away to use them on a Ticker Tape Quilt.  My next Ticker Tape Quilt will be the Bottled Rainbow Quilt Along with Rachel of StitchedInColor.  It is never to late to join us!  




Lessons learned (if you are using the "pre-sandwiched" quilt method:

If I make  When I make another ticker tape quilt, there is one thing I would do differently.  On the front of each piece, I had left about an inch of white space along the edges of each quadrant so that I could sew them together when they were all finished.  The problem is, once you sew them all together, it looks exactly like you've sewn 4 quadrants together.  I didn't want there to be a distinct line running vertically and horizontally across the quilt drawing attention to these 4 quadrants.  So, I spent a lot of time removing pieces that were close to the middle and putting new pieces on that did not all run in a straight line.  Next time, I will leave 2 inches along the edges to avoid all the seam ripping. 

I also did something a little differently than Dee had in her tutorial which she wanted me to share.  When the time comes to sew the back panel together, Dee has folded one side over the other and hand stitched it down.  I decided to just sew the folded side down as close to the edge as possible (I'm not the biggest hand stitching fan).  If you leave the 2 inch space along the edges like I mentioned above, you won't even see this seam on the front side because you will cover it up with the pieces that you come back and add.  It worked like a charm and went very quickly!




I never realized this would turn into an "I Spy" quilt until I laid it on the floor and let Baby Jack climb on it.  "D'er's Buzz," he said.





I just linked this post up with the Linky Party over at Quilt Story.  Go check them out!

And thank you to the Modern Quilt Guild for featuring this quilt in their 100 Days of Modern Quilting.

10_days_button4

49 comments:

  1. That is so amazing!!! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is awesome - you did a great job! And I didn't even think about how it could become an eye-spy quilt for a kidlet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing! I like your lessons learned part. Isn't amazing that we learn something new everytime we make a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am coveting this SO BADLY. I WANT IT!

    seriously, well done. this is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heheheh....when I sewed my scraps on I was exactly 1/2" from the edge and I left at least that amount of space between all of the scraps so when I did my 1/4" seam allowance there was no bigger gap. I just never mentioned that because I figured there was going to be a lot of experimentation with this quilt...and there WAS!!:)

    Next time I make one I am definitely going to do like you did and leave off a few so I can sew it ALL by machine....or in the case of the one I did with rows that would have worked out perfectly!!:)

    Great, great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK. I'm not gonna lie. I absolutely love this quilt! Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did an amazing job on this and I love to see your little guy so interested in it - it is an amazing eye spy quilt too

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love love love this! What a FUN quilt!! **eyeing my scrap bins**

    ReplyDelete
  9. Val! Just found your blog. Love it! So excited.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this has to be one of the most amazing quilts i have ever seen...you did such an amazing job

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!!! What a gorgeous, amazing quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous job! I last saw this on Flickr when you just had the wing quadrant done. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing Val! These truly are such wonderful works of art!!! Love them! Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  14. This quilt is just so wonderful!! Thanks for sharing those great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This just beats all! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for letting us feature this on Modern Day Quilts

    ReplyDelete
  17. wowza! just absolutely stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is completely amazing! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This owl is utterly fabulous! Thanks for linking up and following, we r now too :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there! I'd like to share some of your pictures in this post with my readers in my "all about ticker tape" post. Of course, I will link back to your blog. Please let me know if you would prefer I did NOT share pictures. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Owls! This is the coolest quilt ever. Plus, I think it is so cool that you used someone else's owl design for it. Because now that person can say "someone used my art to make a cool quilt". Love it! Found you through Quilt Story.

    ReplyDelete
  22. An amazing result- saw it on Quilt story!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, wow, wow. Most amazing quilt EVER! I just found you via Kelly Rachel's blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Popped over from Quilt Gallery - glad I did, very informitive post. Love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just came from the Quilt Gallery too...LOVE your quilt and your information! Would it be okay to link back to your blog and show a piccture of your quilt, on my blog? Thanks
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh My Gosh! I've been blown away by this quilt. Now I know how you made it. Great quilt! Hope you win!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello! Your quilt is wonderful and just amazing! Sunny wishes from Crete! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am absolutely flabberghasted! This is an amazing work of art and talent. It is just gorgeous and also very inspirational! Good Luck, this is one of the coolest things i've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey just wanted to congratulate you on this wonderful quilt that is getting so many accolades this week! It is leading the contest on Quilting Gallery, and you're featured on Quilt Story. I noticed a blip about it on Quilting Board, just after they deleted my post regarding the AccuQuilt Barn Quilt Design contest where I was asking for votes. Apparently that is against the rules of the board, but another of my posts was not deleted, and niether was yours. I thought it was a perfect place to ask for votes, and lots of gals helped me out before the post was pulled. At any rate, best wishes to you, this winning quilt is such a marvelous example of a scrap quilt, stitched together with love!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations, I see that you have won the contest! That's wonderful. I only have a couple more days in the contest I'm in, please vote if you're inclined. Mine is the 5th one on the page. I think I'm in second place right now.
    http://www.accuquilt.com/barnquilt-top100

    Deonn S.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ha! I get it - you can call me "owl." good one.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this quilt and I've enjoyed following your rainbow blocks too. Can I use a photo of your owl quilt in our guild newsletter? I'm writing up some instructions for ticker tape quilts for the education section of the newsletter and I think your quilt is great inspiration. Email me at rona dot keith at gmail dot com. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is the most amazing quilt!! I am inspired to make a large ticker tape quilt with some sort of design on it now! It sort of reminds me of a stained glass window, which, though I'm not religious, I do think are pretty! Congrats (late I realize!) on finishing this cool quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congrats on such a fine quilt! I enjoyed reading about your process as well as learning that you are in Indianapolis. (I'm down in Evansville.) Considering how big the world wide web is, that makes us neighbors. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I saw your owl ticker tape quilt on the MQG blog today and it is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Stunning quilt! I LOVE the colors on it, I'll have to try this technique! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. this should have be interesting... but the pink is not readable to old eyes. the font seems to be 8 and I am left wondering why?

    are you discriminating against the old and not modern? or have you not thought that not every one is 30.... I think your owl is an amazing quilt and would have enjoyed knowing more about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My eyes are old and the pink is bright on the white. I'm having no trouble reading it at all. Perhaps the problem's been fixed already and I'm looking at the solution.

      Delete
  38. Wow! I just found this Jessica at Quilty Habit's link. This is amazing! I will definitely have to add this technique to my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This literary gem captures the essence of identity and belonging, resonating on a deeply human level. Watch Hulu Xbox An exceptional piece that lingers in the mind.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you stopping by. Thanks for leaving a comment!